i saw this online and thought they were too cute to resist! since k is allergic to strawberries per the original recipe, i used raspberries instead. also the original recipe had a marshmallow on top but to keep it completely fruit, i added another piece of banana on top. with the remaining fruit, i made a simple fruit salad with all the fruits k can eat so we all enjoyed a cute and refreshing dessert.
even though k has not read / heard the book yet, she loved how the grinch kebabs looked and wanted more!
- 8 toothpicks
- 1 serving bowl
- 1 serving plate
- 1 organic banana
- 1 bunch organic green grapes
(set aside 8)
- 5 oz raspberries (set aside 8)
- 5 oz blackberries
- 3 slices of papaya
- 3 slices of pineapple
- 3 slices of mango
grinch kebabs (make 8) *see note 1
- set aside 8 green grapes and 8 raspberries.
- slice banana from the center outward (using the widest part of the banana) to make ten 1/4″ disks. set aside 8 banana disks.
- cut the remaining two banana slices into 4 cubes each (total 8 cubes).
- using a toothpick, stick one end from the top of the grape (where the grape was attached to the branches) and poke in midway.
- next add one slice of banana on top of the grape, poking through center of disk.
- then add raspberry, first through the large opening and poking out of the bottom tip of raspberry.
- finally add the banana cube on top of the raspberry.
- voilà! you have a grinch kebab!
- cut papaya, pineapple and mango into bite-size pieces. put in serving bowl.
- add remaining raspberries (not used for kebabs) and all blackberries into serving bowl.
- gently toss and serve.
part of christmas menu 2014
1. resource – original recipe from Gurman Chef: Grinch Kabobs