every morning k has plain organic whole fat yogurt with banana for breakfast – sometimes with additional fruit, i.e. avocado, mango, pineapple, etc. but when i looked at the packaging of yogurt i bought one Sunday morning, i realized i bought flavored yogurt instead of the plain. the problem with flavored yogurt is that in addition to added flavor, there is a LOT of sugar.
when i was searching for gluten free flour for my baking projects, i ended up in Bob’s Red Mill section. there is quite the variety of flours, cereals and mixes so i picked up a few things including pancake mix. with my shortage of yogurt, today was the perfect day to try the pancake mix!
i’ve made pancakes before so i know the consistence of pancake batter so when i added all the ingredients, i noticed the batter was too thick. so i added more liquid. other than this change, the pancakes came out great! m, k and i all ate breakfast together, happy pancakes!
- small mixing bowl
- medium mixing bowl
- 1½ gluten free pancake mix – Bob’s Red Mill
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg – or – vegan option: 1 Tbsp flax meal + 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- ½ to 1 cup water, if needed
- if making vegan version, put flax meal in small mixing bowl and add water. mix lightly and let sit for 1 minute. then beat like an egg.
- in large mixing bowl add pancake mix and then add milk, oil and egg/vegan egg option.
- mix well. batter should be smooth so if the batter is too thick, add water and mix.
- heat a grill pan in medium heat.
- add ¼ to ⅓ cup batter for each pancake on the grill. cook one side until top bubbles. then flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
- service with fresh fruit and/or yogurt.
original recipe from Bob’s Red Mill package