the first few “birthdays” parties we had for k – her 1 month and her 1 year – were in some ways more parties for us than for her. it was mostly m & my friends and the food was mostly adult food. since she was so young, it may not have made much of a difference to her.
now that she’s more aware of her surroundings and in school and partaking in her own friends and atmosphere, participating in friends, classmates and her own birthday parties will be a part of life.
recently k’s classmate had a birthday and his family made mini cupcakes as well as gave each student some stickers. with allergies, she couldn’t partake in eating the cupcake at school since it probably contained egg or wheat. the teachers were great to not let her feel left out during that time as it was snack time so she enjoyed her own snack at that time.
it got me thinking of what we would pack on k’s birthday when she goes to school. now, i’ve tried some baking recipes, like a chocolate muffin for her past daycare assignment and while k enjoyed it, i’m not sure if the other kids would. i did find this chocolate cake mix from my recent best friend, Bob’s Red Mill. i picked it up so i could try it but was hesitant about giving it to k anytime soon since it has a whopping 30g of sugar.
since i had some time, i tried the mix just to taste to see if it would be a potential option for k future cake. it actually is pretty good. if we didn’t tell anyone it was gluten free or vegan, it may just pass as good moist chocolate cake! there’s also a vanilla cake mix version too.
it i find another recipe that i can bake without using a mix before k’s birthday, that would great but until then i’m glad i have one option ready. until then i’ll work on a yummy frosting!
- 2 (two) 8″ circle or square baking pans – or –
1 large 9″ x 12″ baking pan
- parchment paper, optional
- 1 package Bob’s Red Mill Chocolate Cake Mix
- ½ cup softened butter – or –
- ½ cup softened vegan oil alternative
- 1 cup milk (dairy, soy, rice or nut)
- 2 eggs – or –
2 Tbsp flax seed meal + 6 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ⅓ cup hot water (110°F)
- 2 tsp no alcohol vanilla extract
- extra oil for greasing baking pan(s), optional
- preheat oven to 350°F.
- cream softened butter or vegan oil alternative until smooth.
- add cake mix, milk, lemon juice and egg/egg alternative. mix well.
- add hot water and vanilla. mix thoroughly.
- either grease or line baking pan with parchment paper, then pour batter into the pan(s).
- bake for 30 to 35 minute or until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes on a wire rack.
- cool before cutting.
original recipe from Bob’s Red Mill Chocolate Cake Mix