next country k’s daycare is “visiting”/exploring is Australia. apparently one of the famous breakfasts are english muffins with bananas on top. so i have to figure out how to get/make gluten free vegan english muffins. when i went hunting for it in various grocery stores, i couldn’t find any so i took online to find a recipe to make it myself.
my first attempt was to make a gluten free version of the recipe from My Fair Baking: Homemade English Muffin. but after trying it twice and having problems with the dough rising, i gave up and tried this recipe.
this recipe from Delight Gluten Free magazine worked perfectly! the dough rose well and when i poured the batter into the cookie cutters, they were so airy light. it cooked very nicely and the flavor was deliciously buttery. i will have to make it again not just for k’s class but for m and myself.
Gluten-Free Crumpets from Harry Potter
- 1 small and 1 large mixing bowls
- crumpet rings or circle cookie cutters
- 1 grill pan
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- grease 4 crumpet rings (or 4 round 3¼-inch cookie cutters) and a skillet or griddle using butter or non-stick spray.
- whisk together the gluten-free flour, sugar, yeast and salt until well combined.
- add the milk and melted butter and whisk until smooth.
- cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place until puffy and risen, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- stir down the mixture.
- heat the greased skillet or griddle and put the crumpet rings inside.
- using a measuring cup, pour 1/3 cup batter into each ring.
- cook over low heat until the tops fill with holes, about 5 minutes.
- carefully remove the crumpet rings (they will be very hot, so use tongs or oven mitts) and flip the crumpets over. they should be pale brown on the bottom.
- cook until the other side is pale brown, about 5 minutes more. repeat until the batter is used up.
- to serve, toast the crumpets until golden brown.
1. original recipe from Delight Gluten-Free Magazine: Gluten Free Crumpets