this week’s Sunday breakfast, i thought i’d try a muffin. blueberry muffins are popular for breakfast and i found this recipe that looked good and simple to make. as usual, i substituted flax meal instead of eggs to make it vegan. there is a lot of butter and sugar in the recipe. for butter i used a vegan spread and for the sugar, i tried two versions:
- for one half dozen, i substituted sugar with applesauce. there was no sugar in this version so the muffins were very soft and it really relied on the fruit to sweeten the muffin. it worked well and k enjoyed it. an option to make it a little sweeter is to use mashed bananas.
- for the other half dozen, i used brown sugar so i could taste the recipe in its original form. i meant to use only half of the amount of sugar but ended up using 2/3rds the amount of sugar. it was still too sweet! next time i’ll remember to only use half the amount.
all in all i liked the recipe. it was simple and tasty. i’ve never personally been a fan of fruity muffins but this was not bad. i’d definitely make it again for k as well as for future playdates or school parties.
- 12 muffin pan
- muffin liners
- cooling rack
- 2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- (if flour blend has xanthan gum, omit) ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup apple sauce – or –
2/3 cup of soft mashed banana – or –
½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp ground flax meal + 6 Tbsp water – or –
non-vegan version: 2 extra large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup butter alternative – or –
½ cup (1 stick) melted, and slightly cooled butter
- 2 teaspoons pure (gluten free) no-alcohol vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
preparation: makes 1 dozen
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 18 to 30 minutes
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum together in a large bowl.
- add the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- fold in the blueberries.
- fill each muffin cup slightly more than half way.
- bake about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- if you’ve used frozen berries the muffins may need to cook a bit longer.
1. resource – original recipe from A Girl Defloured: Best Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffin