to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, i thought i would try a traditional dish that is easy to make and flavorful: corned beef with cabbage. Trader Joe’s makes it especially easy to make this meal! they sell Uncured Sliced Corned Beef that is minimally processed and Shredded White Cabbage. it is perfect for the little one – with the corned beef already thinly sliced and the cabbage shredded, i needed to do little but boil everything..
i saved the soup after boiling so that i could add a few spoonfuls of the moisten any leftovers afterwards. the result is not as fatty or salty as the original and it was the perfect size for a small family. yum!
- 1 pack Trader Joe’s corned beef slices
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- boiled water
- vegetables (i.e. potatoes, carrots, etc.)
- if adding more vegetables, boil first.
- in a medium saucepan add boiling water and add corned beef slices and shredded white cabbage.
- boil until beef slices are cooked and cabbage has softened.
- strain beef and cabbage but save liquid for further flavoring (i.e. for grains, potato, etc.