i’m always trying to find new foods that k hasn’t tried yet. i had told m that i was thinking of miso soup since i grew up with it and decades later, it is like comfort food to me. recently m sent me an article about Marukome miso soup anime ads that made me decide yes, the warmth of miso soup is indeed a feeling i want to share with k.
miso soup is so easy to make – in its basic form, all you do is boil water and add the miso paste. i never knew what was in miso paste but to share it with k, i looked at the ingredients list: rice (ok), soybeans (ok), water (ok), sea salt (ok), koji aspergillus oryzae … ? … well, it is a fungus used to ferment soybeans. i figured it would be the “new” ingredient for k to try. so far so good.
miso soup is usually a side dish (soup) to a meal so in order to make it a meal for k, i added some grain to it. since most of the flavors k has had before, i was hopeful that my little one would enjoy it. from the first taste, k enjoyed it! i have enjoyed it for decades – like comfort food – and i hope k will too. one day i’ll show k the vid
- small saucepan
- 1 mason jar
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp organic miso paste
- ½ block tofu cut into ¼” cubes
- vegetables as desired, cut into small pieces, optional
i.e. mushroom, bamboo shoots, etc.
- pre-cooked whole grain, optional
i.e. rice, quinoa, millet, etc.
- boil 2 cups of water in saucepan.
- add miso paste and stir until miso paste has dissolved into the water.
- add tofu and any other vegetables. cook until tofu comes to a boil.
- scoop 1/2 cup of soup with vegetables into bowl and add pre-cooked whole grain.
- save remaining soup in a mason jar for future meals.
1. Mar 5, 2015, Rocket News 24: Miso soup anime ads are so touching they’ll warm your heart as the soup warms your tummy by Audrey Akcasu
2. Feb 18, 2015, Anime Anime: 話題のマルコメCMに夜食篇 ロボット×スタジオコロリドが父と娘のやりとり描く
- 料亭の味 たっぷりお徳
- 料亭の味 即席生みそ汁
- 料亭の味 カップみそ汁