it’s sugar cookie day again at k’s daycare so why not try another recipe? this is called a chewy butter cookie but it’s very similar to the ingredients of other sugar cookies i’ve tried so i decided to give it a shot. the recipe called for a lot of sugar – both white and brown so i reduced the sugar and only went with brown.
the cookies were the perfect level sweet (yikes – imagine if i put in the original amount!) and not too chewy (which is good for a cookie). i think this will be my go-to sugar cookie recipe from now on!
- medium mixing bowl
- baking pan
- parchment paper
- star-shaped cookie cutter
- ¼ cup Earth Balance vegan GMO free whipped buttery spread
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- eggless option:
1½ Tbsp ground flaxseed +
1½ Tbsp boiling water
– or –
- ⅓ tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cups flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- preheat oven to 375°F. (you will have to chill the dough for 30 minutes, so you may want to do this when you put the dough in the fridge to chill).
- eggless option: in the medium mixing bowl, add ground flaxseed and boiling water. wait 1 minute. then beat as if you are beating an egg. then add ingredients in step 3.
- in a medium mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg substitute/egg, water and vanilla until well mixed.
- add the flour, baking soda and salt to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- roll dough into 1 inch balls; slightly flatten (shape if desired) and place on parchment paper.
- place in preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until very light brown. (I always take my cookies out right before they look like they are done. I then allow them to sit on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes to firm up.)
1. original recipe from Go Dairy Free: Soft & Chewy Vanilla Butter Cookies