while June 14 is Flag Day, but the day you see flags everywhere is on Independence Day aka Fourth of July! so for breakfast, how about some stars and stripes with yogurt, fruit and waffles!
- star shaped cookie cutter
- gluten free vegan waffles
- plain organic yogurt
- toast 2 waffles. using the grid on the waffles, cut long strips. set aside
- slice blackberries into 3 or 4 disks. set aside
- slice strawberries along the skin so you have more dark red color and then slice into strips.
- on a plate, use the waffle strips and strawberry strips, make alternate stripes.
- on the top left corner, place blackberries for the stars.
- add some yogurt on the waffle strips for more white-looking stripes if desired.
Waffle and Fruit stars
- using the star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out stars from 3 toasted waffles.
- waffle stars
– with the stars, place on plate.
– in 2 small mixing bowls, add a dollop of yogurt. in one bowl add scraps of blackberries and mix together. in the other bowl, add scraps of strawberries and mix together.
– top one star with strawberry yogurt mixture; top second star with blackberry yogurt; and keep last berry plain or top with plain yogurt to make red-white-blue stars.
- fruit stars
– using 2 or 3 strawberries, slice some strawberry wedges, sharpening the corners to fit into the star-shaped cookie cutters. save 5 wedges. with remaining strawberry scraps, chop up.
– place the outside of a waffle cut out on a plate.
– place the strawberry wedges in the corners of the star whole inside the waffle.
– fill center of strawberry star with chopped up strawberry scraps.
- using a firm ripe banana, cut off the top and bottom curved part of the banana to preserve a banana cylinder that is 2 to 3 inches in height.
- using a knife with a blade longer 3 inches cut out triangular wedges to form a star cylinder.
- then slice the cylinder into thin slices, leaving you with star shaped banana slices. (from my picture, i have to practice a little more so they are more star-shaped than flower shaped)